Seeking Resources in English to Teach IMCI (Integrated Management of Childhood ILlness) to Nurses and Midwives
Dear Global Nursing Colleagues,
I am the Deputy Director of our Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Center on International Nursing at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), I am posting this discussion thread to ask if you might assist me with identifying resources available in English to teach the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) to nurses and nursing students. PAHO has been working for a number of years on an initiative to promote IMCI training in Latin America, and in 2009 developed a manual (in Spanish) that can be used to guide integration of IMCI into the pre-service nursing curricula. The manuals are different from other IMCI training packages because they integrate the nursing process within the IMCI framework. The manuals includes eight chapters listed below and they are available online at http://www.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1932%3Ama...
Chapter 1. The IMCI strategy within continuous, integrated health care of mothers, newborns, and children
Chapter 2: Integrated Attention for Common Illnesses of Children and the Nursing Process
Chapter 3: Promotion of Health
Chapter 4: The nursing process in IMCI for the Pregnant Woman
Chapter 5: The nursing process in IMCI for the child from birth to 2 months of age
Chapter 6: Nursing process in IMCI for the child from 2 months to 4 years of age
Chapter 7 Methods of preventing Common Childhood Illnesses
Chapter 8 Communication and treatments in IMCI
I am trying to identify what English resources are available to teach IMCI to nurses and to nursing students, in order to determine whether there is a need to translate the PAHO manuals from Spanish to English. I would appreciate it if you could complete the short survey below by May 31, 2013 to provide information about any English resources you may know about that can be used to teach IMCI to nurses or nursing students. You may complete the survey online at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/63YCBJJ
I am also copying the survey below in case it is easier for you to simply reply to this discussion posting with your comments.
Thank you in advance for any assistance you might provide. I look forward to hearing from you!
Lynda Wilson, RN, PhD, FAAN, The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Professor and Assistant Dean for International Affairs and Deputy Director,
PAHO/WHO Collaborating Center on International Nursing
Brief Survey to Identify Current Resources in English to Teach Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) to Nurses or Nursing Students
1. Which country do you live in? _____________________________________
2. Is IMCI being taught in nursing schools in your country? ___Yes in all schools ___ Yes in some schools ___ No ___ Don’t Know
3. Are there specific teaching materials available in English that are used to teach IMCI to nurses or nursing students in your country? ___ Yes ___ No ___ Don’t Know
4. If the answer to question #3 is “yes,” please list the references to these teaching materials here.
5. Do you think it would be helpful to translate the manuals that have been developed in Spanish by PAHO to English, to be used as a resource for teaching IMCI in English-speaking countries? ___ Yes ___ No ___ Don’t Know
6. Please share any other thoughts or comments you have about resources in English to teach IMCI to nurses.