- Develop online technology platform that allows a vetted community to create persuasive, compelling and engaging evidence-based content targeting high-cost low-value drug/device/diagnostic utilization areas.
- Embed information into electronic medical records and patient portals, allowing delivery of relevant content at point of care.
- The pharmaceutical and medical device industry spends an estimated $57 billion a year on marketing . These activities contribute to the high cost of healthcare by persuading doctors to utilize (and consumers to demand) unnecessary medications, diagnostic tests and medical interventions.
- Restrictive efforts to manage utilization (e.g. prior authorization) are expensive and create discord/defiance with providers and patients.
- Persuasive communication of clinical evidence that touches affective and cognitive processes can improve outcomes, reduce waste and also lead to more cooperation between providers, payers and patients.
This idea will bring together academic clinicians, managed care medical directors, community-based physicians, patients and experienced medical marketing writers to crowdsource digital healthcare content, offering incentives to use vs. industry-influenced healthcare information.
EXAMPLE OF PHARMA INDUSTRY EDUCATIONAL SITE: http://www.stopspinalfracturepain.com/assess-my-risk.asp