SocMed Haiti 2016 Final student project

By Ruth Staus | 07 Aug, 2016

In July, I had the privilege of being a member of the curriculum development and teaching team for the social medicine course, Les déterminants sociaux et économiques de la santé: Au-delà des bases bio-médicales de la maladie (The social and economic determinants of health: Beyond the biology of disease), sponsored by the Boston-based NGO, EqualHealth in Mirebalais, Haiti. The teaching team was multi-national, multi-lingual, and multi-disciplinary including the disciplines of nursing, medicine, social work, medical anthropology, public health, ethnomusicology, and human rights law and our students included medical, nursing, social work, and global health students.

I am attaching the YouTube video that served as the student's final project for the course.
Here is what the students would like you to know about their project:

We just completed a Social Medicine course in Haiti focused on social determinants of health. Our curriculum sought to analyze the structural factors that contribute to a person’s well being beyond the biological basis of disease. In this course, we learned about Haiti’s rich history, vibrant culture, and beautiful language. However, we also learned about some of the devastating consequences of unsustainable development work in Haiti. Our class was so moved by Haiti’s powerful and resilient history that we decided to create a video to share a message we think is really important. Our video warns volunteers that good intentions don’t necessarily result in good results. Many times, interventions meant with good intentions produce many negative non-intended consequences. Our video encourages volunteers to think about their organization’s practices.

In addition, because we are attempting to reach the maximum audience, please consider sharing this video with your connections on social media! Finally, take a moment to complete the following survey after watching the video: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7WWHYKD

Please share this video, and for nurse educators, consider using it in your courses as a springboard for discussion regarding the critical role of nursing in creating a socially just world. I am also including links to EqualHealth and the Social Medicine Consortium which are both working on building a multi-disciplinary, multi-national movement in social medicine. I encourage my nursing colleagues to consider joining these organizations in the effort to get out of our disciplinary silos and begin to work together to solve the structural violence that is at the root of poor health globally.

Kenbe fem,

Ruth Staus, DNP, APRN, ANP-BC
Associate Professor, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, Metropolitan State University, St. Paul, MN
Founder, Director, Adult Nurse Practitioner, Edgerton Wellness Center, St. Paul, MN
Co-Founder, Adult Nurse Practitioner, Love Grows Here Wellness Center, St. Paul, MN
Curriculum development and teaching team member, Social Medicine Course 2016, Equal Health, Mirebalais, Haiti

Attached resources:

Replies

Abbi Bruce Replied at 5:51 PM, 7 Aug 2016

I am unable to find the video link. Please resend. Thank you.
Abbi Bruce RN, MS

Ruth Staus Replied at 10:15 PM, 7 Aug 2016

Sorry, I will try again.

Attached resource:

ALEX OLIRUS OWILLI Replied at 1:04 AM, 8 Aug 2016

Thanks very much Ruth for this, i am a SocMed course alumni from Uganda. I
must confess, the course is very transformative, it brings you out of your
comfort zone, and enables you to face reality, not only this, but also
empowers with a mind that you can always play a part in the sphere of
influence for improved health outcome of our patients. Have watched the
2016 Haiti class output, here is the link: https://youtu.be/_THXZ-mM-tY
If it were possible, this should be taken on a larger scale. In my class,
the practice of 3Ps (Praxis, Personal and Partnership), on addition to the
privilege walk we performed in class was heart breaking, we figured how to
deal with realities in a diverse environment.
Looking to many other experiences from this course.

Winnie Nhlengethwa Replied at 4:49 AM, 8 Aug 2016

Interesting programmes and very enriching.

Monique Germain Moderator Replied at 11:53 PM, 10 Aug 2016

Ruth:
Thank you for posting this video. This youth group reminds me of my own younger years when my colleagues and I used to address topics similar to what is being discussed. We had wonderful ideas. We wanted change. We became involved in the community. We were advocating empowerment for the disenfranchised. Unfortunately, most of us moved away and hope was lost. I am glad to witness the rebirth of rebirth.
Monique

Elizabeth Anne Jones Replied at 6:41 AM, 12 Aug 2016

A very stark reminder that wanting to help isn't enough. Mindfulness of culture, needs and involving the community is a paramount prerequisite. Thank you

Monique Germain Moderator Replied at 2:31 PM, 12 Aug 2016

Elizabeth,
Thank you for your comment. Mindfulness of culture and the social context, indeed.
Monique

Joanne Pohl Replied at 4:23 PM, 12 Aug 2016

Ruth,
This is excellent. Wonderful work! I have forwarded it on to my colleagues
at our Haiti Nursing Foundation and at Faculté des Sciences Infirmières de
l’Université Episcopale d’Haïti or Faculty of Nursing Science of the
Episcopal University of Haiti (FSIL) in Leogane, Haiti.

Joanne

--

*Joanne M. Pohl, PhD, ANP-BC, FAAN, FAANPProfessor EmeritaThe University of

This Community is Archived.

This community is no longer active as of December 2018. Thanks to those who posted here and made this information available to others visiting the site.