Prof. Dr. Mati-ur-Rahman
House #720 Street # 21, Sector-I-8-2 Islamabad
Principal and Director Riphah Institute of Healthcare Improvement and Safety,Riphah International University,Islamabad,Pakistan
Professor of Medicine Islamic International Medical College
Former National Advisor MDR TB ,National TB Control Program Ex-Professor of Chest Medicine Al-Nafees Medical College.
Ex-Assistant Professor Medicine (Chest)& Director Quality Management Shifa college of Medicine Islamabad Pakistan 29th September 2006 to 31st January 2014
Former Director Quality and Patient Safety Management Systems &Focal person (Team Leader)JCI Accreditation project and Consultant Pulmonologist, Shifa International Hospital Islamabad AUGUST 2009 to date 2nd January 2014.
Focal person National TB control Pakistan and Project Director for T.B care and Support Project Shifa College of Medicine Islamabad February 2010 to date
Focal Person at Shifa College of Medicine for Hepatitis prevention program APPNA USA
Member Executive Council and Spokes person for APPS, UK in Pakistan
Senior Medical Training Consultant for Pakistan, Australian Centre for Education & Training
Senior Consultant and Trainer for Quality, Productivity and Soft Skills, NPO and PDC NUST
Worked with AIDS control program Pakistan as Focal person for civil Hospital Karachi for AIDS research project in 2000.
EX-Chairman Medical Education & Research Committee and Medical Director and coordinator TB Control program,
Afif General Hospital, Ministry of Health , Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Dec2001 - Sept 2006
EX-Assistant Professor Chest Diseases Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases and Head of Department Chest Unit Dow Medical College and Civil Hospital Karachi. September 1999 to November 2001
Ex-Chest Specialist & Director Medical Education and Research.
TB and ChestHospital,
Buraida-Saudi Arabia Dec 1991-Sept 1999
Member of AIDS Committee formed by AIDS control Program Sindh 2000
Assistant Professor(Chest Diseases), Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre,Karachi October 1990 to October 1991
Honorary Registrar Department of Chest Medicine,Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre,Karachi August 1985 to October 1990
MD (Thesis evaluated by Prof John Crofton and Prof Kilpatrick Univervisty of Edinburgh 1991
MCPS (TB & Chest Diseases) CPSP/JPMC karachi 1987
DTCD Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases 1986
MBBS DowMedicalCollegeKarachi 1981
CPHQ USA scored 86% 2003
United States Medical Licensing Examination 1995 Valid ECFMG certificate
Post Graduate Diploma InHealth System Management
NationalUniversity of science and Technology (NUST) 2007
Post Graduate Diploma course In Hospital Management (NUST) 2008
Postgraduate diploma in integrated system management NUST 2009
EMBA SZABIST 3.67/4 GPA 2011
Lead Auditor Course in QMS (ISO 9001-2008) and OHSASISO18001, IRCA England recognized
Lead Auditor 5-S from NPO
Certified Quality and Productivity practitioner APO Japan
Certificate course on ISO 14000 and Green Productivity APO Japan
Certificate Course on Knowledge Management APO JAPAN
EMBA at SZABIST ,Islamabad (GPA 3.67 / 4)
Green Belt Six Sigma from SZABIST.
Member Chartered Management Institute U.K
Attended JCIA practicum held at Singapore from 23rd to 27th April 2012
Certified trainer IFC(World Bank)
Attended 5 Modules workshops for Certificate in Leadership Level 5 Chartered Management Institute UK
Received Statement for Accomplishment with 95% score for a 5 week course on Science of Patient Safety in Healthcare conducted by John Hopkins University USA
Certificate Course on Global T.B management and Research John Hopkins University with 95.7% score.
Award and Honors
• Awarded Gold Medal by Governor of Sindh for being the first M.D in Chest Diseases in Pakistan
• Achieved Overall FIRST Position in Diploma in Hospital Management Examination from NUST held in 2008
• Achieved Overall FIRST Position in Lead Auditor course on 5-S held at NPO Islamabad
• Achieved 3rd Position in Postgraduate diploma in integrated system managementfrom NUST held in 2009.
• Achieved First Position in Certificate Course on Knowledge Management From APO Japan held in 2010
• Board Eligible American Board of Quality
• Board Eligible American Board of Patient Safety
• Elected Fellow Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene London.
• Elected Fellow Royal Institute of public Health and Hygiene London.
• Life Member American Medical Society Vienna Austria
• Life member Pakistan chest society.
• Life Member Pakistan Infectious Diseases Society.
• Member International society of International Medicine Switzerland
• Board member for Selection of young scientists by HEC and Pakistan Science Foundation to represent Pakistan in the June 2010 Lindau Nobel Laureates Meeting.
• Ex-Clinical& Publication Secretary Pakistan Chest Society
• Member American Society of Quality (ASQ)
• Member National patient safety foundation USA
• Member American College of Healthcare Executives.
• Member National association of Healthcare Quality USA
CONDUCTING WORKSHOPS FOR:
Senior and Junior Management, Nurses, Medical and Paramedical Staff of Shifa College of Medicine and Shifa International hospital and at NUST and National Productivity Organization Pakistan for general Participants on:
1) 5-S and Kaizen
2) Quality and Accreditation in Health care
3) Hand Washing a WHO initiative
4) Quality Circle
5) Communication Skills
6) Stress and Time Management
7) Etiquettes and Manners
9) Customer Relationship Management .
10) Performance Management
12) Knowledge Management
14) Risk Management
16)ISO 9001:2008 & ISO 14000(Environment Management)
17) Change Management
19)JCIA Accreditation Preparation of Hospitals
20)JCI required trainings like FEMA
21)Lean in Healthcare
22)Six Sigma in Healthcare
23)Patient Safety Workshop for Healthcare Staff
24)Implementation and Monitoring Of Patient Safety
25)Train the trainer workshop on Patient Safety in Healthcare.
• Thesis for M.D (PhD) in Chest diseases on Byssionosis in Karachi Cotton Mills and other publications approved as highly commendable(Excellent) by Prof John Crofton and Prof KilPatrick from University of Edinburgh .
• The efficacy of rib cage mobilization on lung function in COPD patients. Rawal Med J 2013;38:36-39
• Student Seminar on Smoking: A novel way to introduce different perspectives on smoking of medical students. J.Research Med Sciences2013(5):245-51
• Byssinosis in Karachi Cotton Mills. Rawal Med J;2013;230-33
• Challenges faced by general practitioners in Pakistan in management of tuberculosis. Rawal Med J;2013;249-252
• Disposal of syringes, needles, and lancets used by diabetic patients in Pakistan. Journal of Infection and Public Health 2012(5);182-188
• Delivering undergraduate medical curriculum. Rawal Med J 2008;33:249-251
• Status of vaccination in a semi urban community. Rawal Med J 2013;38:422-424
• Attended Master Trainer Workshop on MDR and number of other courses conducted by National T.B Control Program Pakistan.
• Earned Statement of Accomplishment for John Hopkins’s University 5 week course (3rd June to 7th July 2013) on The Science of Patient Safety in Healthcare with 95% score.
• Training Course on Quality Assurance in Higher Education by Pakistan quality Institute (PIQC) 14-15th October 2011
• Course on Integrated management Systems (ISO 9001,ISO14000,ISO18000) conducted by DAS England and PDC National University of science and Technology Pakistan
• Attended International course on Certified Productivity Practitioners conducted by Asian Productivity Organization and National Productivity organization, and Pakistan Science Foundation
• Train the trainers Course on Developing and Implementing Training programs conducted by Australian educational council, National Productivity Organization, Pakistan Science foundation and Pakistan Accreditation Council.
• Advance Course on Evidence base Medicine conducted by Prof Gordon Guyet from McMaster University Canada held at Shifa College of Medicine
• Attended course on Grant Proposal writing held at Shifa College of Medicine
• Attended intensive course of 40 PDU on project management
• Workshop on Research Methodology held at Pakistan Medical Association Karachi 16th to 19th June 2008
WORKSHOPS ATTENDED IN TEACHERSTRAININGCENTRECOLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS PAKISTAN
• Workshop on statistics ion medical profession
• Workshop on indication and interpretation of CT scan
• Workshop on medical writing
• Workshop on planning research
• Workshop on educational planning& evaluation
• National workshop on Evaluation of Clinical Competence
• National workshop on teaching skills
• National workshop on Educational Planning
• National workshop on MCQ
• Member of Task force for developing and implementing Integrated Modular Curriculum for Shifa College of Medicine
• Coordinator Respiratory Module of Shifa College of Medicine
• Preceptor for Clinical Rotation Training for 3rd, 4th, and Final year MBBS at SCM
• Conducting Research on Quality and Productivity in Pakistani Hospitals.
• External examiner for evaluating Thesis and conducting viva voce for MS Environmental Sciences at International Islamic University ,Islamabad in 2012 and 2011
• Organizing Secretary International Conference on TB & Lung disease held in Hotel Sheraton Karachi.
• Chaired Scientific Session in the International Conference on TB and Lung Disease.
• Panelist in the Panel Discussion of TB, COPD & Bronchial Asthma ion the International Conference on TB and Lung Disease.
• Attended as delegate in Joint Conference of College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan and Bangladesh College of Physician and Surgeons, held at Karachi.
• Presented paper on Use of Nanotechnology in Respiratory Medicine in International Conference on Science and technology held in January 2010 at Islamabad.
• Presented paper on Introduction of Nano Medicine in Curriculum of Final Year MBBS at conference for OIC countries on Nanomedicine at COMSATS, Islamabad
• .Panelist in National Seminar on "Nanomedicine / Nanodentistry"Preston Institute of Nano Science and Technology (PINSAT) Islamabad.15 December, 2011
• Presented Paper on Structured Interactive Session in International Conference on Medical Education in FJMC Lahore 2009
• Poster presentation on Awareness on Communication Skills in International Conference on Medical Education at Islamabad held by Riphah International University. 2009
• Delivered lecture on "Occupational Lung Diseases" for medical Consultants and general practitioners at Murshid Hospital and Health Care Centre, Karachi.
• Conducted and Chaired numerous symposium and delivered lectures in Afif General Hospital, Riyadh - Saudi Arabia.
• Presented papers in "Role of Nutrition in TB" in National Symposium on Nutrition held in Kind Saud Hospital Unaiza, Saudi Arabia.
• Presented Paper on Allergy Connection In National conference on allergy in King saud hospital Unaiza Saudi Arabia,Saudi Arabia 2002
• Delivered Lecture in Advanced Course on Respiratory Diseases for Post Graduate Students of Chest Diseases conducted by Pakistan Chest Society and Liaquat National Post Graduate Medical Centre Karachi held from 15th to 24th January 2001.
• Presented paper on “Pulmonary Tuberculosis the Past ,Present and Future” in a National Symposium held at Hotel Sheraton Taif Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on 11-12 April 1992.
Panelist in Panel discussion on “Recent Advances in Management of Tuberculosis in 28th Annual Symposium of Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre Karachi held on 19th February 1991
• Byssinosis(Occupational Lung Disease.) in Karachi Cotton Mills 26th Annual Symposium JPMC, Karachi held in 1989
• Conducted Numerous workshops on Soft skills, Quality and accreditation in Healthcare ,Patient Safety,HR interpersonal skills locally and Internationally.
Prof .M. Aslam
University of Health Sciences,Lahore
Mob # 00923215266744
PRESIDENT AND CEO
SHIFA INTERNATIONAL HOSPITAL
Prof Dr. T.A.Shah
Ex-Head of department of medicine&
Chairman clinical health sciences
ShifaCollege Of medicine
Prof Ghulam Haider Khalid
Professor and HOD Deptt Of Medicine
Shifa College of Medicine
Prof. Emeritus Dr.S.M. Rab
Dean Faculty of Medicine and Ex-President of College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan and Ex- minister of Health Government Of Sindh Pakistan
Tel #: 021 – 4981099, 021 – 4981047
Prof Lt. General(Rtd) Akhter Ali Quraishi
Professor and Ex- Head of Department
Department of Community Medicine.
ShifaCollege of Medicine
Mob # 03008551063