MD (Obstetrics and Gynecology)
President, Operation ASHA
New Delhi, India and Chicago, USA
Senior Specialist(Obstetrics and Gynecology), Advanced laparoscopic Surgeon
Best-selling Penguin Author of 2 books ,' 20 Minutes to Total Fitness', and 'The Intimate Self, a book of women's sexual health'. Newspaper Columnist and media person.
Ashoka Changemaker (Patients│Choices│Empowerment Competition ), 2010
Mary E Shannon Memorial fellow, 1976
Abdullah Haji Omar Fellow, 1979
Recepient of Exemplary Contribution Award, Indian Medical Association, 2009, 2010
ABOUT OPERATION ASHA:-
* Serving 5 million disadvantaged urban and rural persons in 16 cities in 7 states of India, and 450,000 in Cambodia.Our community based TB treatment centers are situated deep in slums, for patinet convenience.
* Centers operate from temples and small shops, within the community for long hours from early in the morning till late in the evening providing free treatment and counseling to nearly 8000 patients each year.
* All the patients belong to under-served areas most of whom would otherwise go untreated because they do not have access to any other center that operates at a convenient time.
*Awards and recognitions
1.Operation ASHA was declared as one of the most successful Public-Private Partnership in health in a report presented by the UN Secretary General.
2.Has been elected as a member of the Board Board of the Stop TB Partnership, an affiliate of the World Health Organization.
3. Has won the India Development Marketplace Award of the World Bank
4. Govt of India award for exemplary performance in treating and preventing tuberculosis.
5. Spirit of Humanity Award from Americares, India,
6.the mBillionth Award and Manthan Award for Innovation in Mobile Health Technology..
Operation ASHA in the news:-
Operation ASHA has appeared on Nightline and ABC World News, Times of India, The Economist White Paper on “Healthcare in Asia' and Worldview, NPR, Chicago
. Also on the websites of the World Bank, Guardian, The Governance of Knowledge- India, Wall Street Journal, National Bureau of Asian Research, nextbillion, CNS Stop-TB Initiative website, Center for Health Market Innovations ,University of Chicago
OTHER WORK :-
I have been carrying out probono medical consultation for needy slum dwellers since 1991. Also, provision of free medicines arranged through pharmaceutical companies, and free medical tests arranged in collaboration with like-minded persons, for thousands of patients every year. I have also been carrying out 60-70 surgeries annually free of charge for disadvantaged patients since July 1988.
* Involved, since 1991, with Free Patient Department of Batra Hospital and Medical Research Center, in New Delhi, India, which is run for the benefit of poor patients; work includes free consultation and counseling