Director of Communications & Partnerships
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene seeks a highly motivated and productive public health professional to serve as Director of Communications & Partnerships for the Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control. The Bureau, which is part of the Division of Prevention and Primary Care, has the primary responsibility for addressing chronic disease including but not limited to a focus on reducing risk factors such as tobacco use, physical activity, and diet. The Bureau achieves its goals through implementing neighborhood and population-level programs, and developing policy, legislative and regulatory strategies. In order to achieve the widest, most sustainable population-level impact, the Bureau focuses on policy, systems, and environmental changes.
The Bureau has created and implemented programs and policies with national and international impact through multi-sectoral approaches including policies to reduce youth access to tobacco, such as a law raising the minimum age of purchase to 21 years and a law prohibiting the use of coupons to purchase cigarettes; a Mayoral Executive Order to incorporate Active Design principles in to City construction projects; the creation of healthy food standards for government agencies; the restriction of trans fat in restaurant food; the requirement to post calorie labels in chain restaurants; and the development of a national framework to reduce sodium in foods through the voluntary National Salt Reduction Initiative. The Bureau works with the agency’s Bureau of Communications to develop, place, and assess media campaigns that has resulted in television and print media that have been used widely by other jurisdictions.
Director of Policy, Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control
The Division of Prevention and Primary Care is hiring a Director of Policy in our Bureau of Chronic Disease and Tobacco Control.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
• Monitor chronic disease prevention trends and initiatives, research best practices, and conduct analyses to support the generation of new policy and legislative initiatives.
• Manage all aspects of the chronic disease policy development process: formative research, proposal development, strategic planning and implementation.
• Lead a team to develop and advance the Bureau’s legislative and policy agenda.
• Coordinate public messaging, community engagement, stakeholder support and evaluation planning for chronic disease policy proposals with other bureau unit directors.
• Serve as point of contact with key local and national stakeholders.
• Work with the Office of External Affairs, Office of the General Counsel, Commissioner’s Office and other relevant agency units to develop and enact policies by Board of Health.
• City Council, state legislature or other legislative bodies.
• Provide strategic advice on policy proposals and other chronic disease prevention issues to Department leadership, including Assistant Commissioner of Chronic Disease, Prevention and Tobacco Control, and Deputy Commissioner of Prevention and Primary Care.
• Perform other duties as needed in support of the chronic disease prevention agenda.
Link leads to: https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/?jobPath=psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRS.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=222505&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Link leads to: https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/?jobPath=psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRS.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=202761&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1